I've been field testing the (in)famous AF knives; my recently rediscovered Ontario,vintage 1973 and a Camillus. Ergonomically the Ontario has an edge ( though niether comes with any to speak of) with a more pronounced barrel handle and a better profiled clip point. The Camillus has a higher Rockwell. Both points are very fragile. This eliminates any prying unless a bent, or more likely snapped point is desired. The field modified half guard on my Ontario makes choking up for fine work much easier, and the Camillus was needlessly awkward with the spear attachment point. Thats all it's good for, barring knife duels over the remaining MRE. The sawback does provide a nice control surface for the thumb. It is still marginal for sawing. My old laborious filing made for little improvement. Happily, it is the same diameter as paracord and did well enough for grooving sticks for improved lashing. Using the knife to split small billets of softwood was no problem. Cutting sawbacks theoretically weakens a blade with potential stress cracks. Avoid hickory and oak and use an equally soft billet for hammering. We want to drive the blade, not hammer forge it. Let the wood take the beating. The hammer pommel is usefull for small work; driving nails through a large hook's eye for a gaffhook or cracking shellfish or nuts. Bashing a moose femur for the marrow( the one you just dropped with the M6 .410 survival rifle) will result in a broken knife. Remember that hammer threads onto a rat tail tang with the softest zone temper. The metal tipped sheath is superior, both for retention and safety. @ 12' of paracord can be easily wrapped by tying an overhand knot, securing it under the stone pocket snap and winding, finishing with a simple overhand tuck. That stone is horrible! If your smart enough to sharpen the knife BEFORE need ( I saw plenty that never left the sheath since issue) get a better hone. Mine only seemed to undo my efforts.That small pocket is perfect for a small metal match and a packet of fishhooks. Many people cut a magnesium bar to fit. It's still not my first selection, the memory of that snapping blade is still vivid, but @ $35 average price a decent start for the budget conscious.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (06/25/02 07:37 PM)