I know where you are coming from about reliability. It is afterall a Chrysler product. I do know that the 2007 has a complete new chassis and running gear as well as engine. I plan on moving to NM and using it to run around in the mountains in a few years. I may hold off a year before buying because of that. I know Toyota makes a very reliable vehicle, always has. The problem I have with them is once the warranty runs out, they are sort of exotic, like expensive to repair. The newest Forerunners are too low, too big and not really much more for off road than my Chevy Trailblazer.
The Trailblazer has been flawless for it's first 32,000 miles, runs great, comfortable for an SUV and good in ice and snow. It just isn't something I feel comfortable off the main roads with, due to low clearance and lots of front and rear overhang. My other vehicle is a '98 Isuzu Trooper, pretty decent off roading, noisy and poor riding on the highway at 75MPH. The engine in that thing is like half a Ferrari and as difficult to maintain as one also. Dual overhead cams, 24 valves, all aluminum and very expensive! I had to put an engine in it already, got a used one for $3500 and that was a deal! Not the best thing for going into the stix with, unless you have good communictions and preferably another vehicle along.
So, I will see how the Jeep is, seems about as close to perfect for my needs. It will likely be the last car I ever buy. You'll never get me in a big Buick when all my hair is grey!!
One aspect of a Jeep that I like, it may need repairs someday but there is no way it could ever be as expensive to repair as my Trooper has been to me!
As for pickups with shells, been there, done that. I find the rear bed is always full of dirt when driving a dirt road, gets in to all my gear. Most times the bed is not being used for anything and I do not like the light rear end when in snow or on ice. So, it has to be an offroad capable SUV, with decent clearance and it can't be all time 4wd, like a Hummer H3! Why get 13MPG around town when you can get 18 or more?
Anyway, I guess the bottom line is, get what fits your needs, and what you can afford.
For the guy with the older rides, I had a 1994 S-10 4-door Blazer for 10 years, put over 190,000 miles on it and was basically satisfied. It just got too expensive to keep it running reliably. Finally got a new one on '04. I had to cash in some stock options! Cheers!