You're exactly right, Leigh, I just don't wanna go add it all up. The Winchester knives and multitools (Yes, I owned them - and got rid of them) are el cheapo quality and cost usually in the $8-$12 range. They do have a new line of Chinese-made Winchester knives/multi-tools just out in Wal-mart though that I cannot pre-judge and have heard nothing on yet. Ozark Trail brand-name things usually are all poorly made (I should know - I have bought them, used them, still have some, have thrown some away). I swear by the Smith's Diamond Pocket Stone though, I own two or three of them.(around $5.88 last time I bought one). But I am a person who sharpens knives alot and someone with inexperience might need an "assisted angle" (or whatever the terminology) sharpener in their kit. I have seen the waist pack with water bottles for $12.88, I think it was. I think I know of that particular low-quality compass the picture shows too. There are some good items. I'll skip the rest of the bad and save my breath.

I think I would make a better quality kit and sell it for less if I were this particular person. To me, not to do so woud be unethical. But, again, my values are different, and I don't look at survival in just $$$ Quality in the kit is essential, or else I don't see any good sense in marketing it.