See, from my perspective the guy blew it a long time ago. I prefer the "Silverback" approach. All my women (wife and two daughters) know what everything I own (that I want them to know about) is for and I have given them some level of training so that they can make most of it work as intended. I've also spent hours trying to get them into a mindset to solve problems and face adversity without panic or taking a victim's stance. Now here's the key part:

When one of them gets overwhelmed, as is the case moreso with the female of this species by my experience, and they have an emotional release, then I do the Silverback thing. I quietly approach and let my gentle confidence (even if only an act, sometimes even the silverback can get his neck hairs raised) calm them, if need be I will groom on them, or display for them, or collect up a bunch of yummy shoots for them to munch (or in this case, raid the chocolate jar). The point is, when someone is upset, the first thing ought to be to get them back into a comfort zone if possible and help them find a way to handle the situation. Training, even the "I told you so" kind, should be done later, when the threat is passed, and criticism can be more easily accepted.

To rear up and beat the chest when the clan is already stirred up just makes you the focus of their rage or further agitation.