I think you should be get an award for trying to enlighten your goddaughter. I wish I could get my sisters to think about this stuff.

Most people just don't think about preparedness, women or men. We all know friends and family that could not last 1 day with the water off. But in this case the BF should have reassured his GF by pulling out a flashlight, cranking up the emergancy radio, and then ask her what she would like to do. Either bug out or stay and drink some beer/wine. Not make her feel stupid or insignificant.

My wife of many years could survive if she had too, former girl scout, but when bad thinks happen she likes me to take care of it. This includes her car getting stick in the mud on a country road, power outage, and even when my son hurts himself. And when I whip out the BOB, Medical Kit, or what even is needed she is relieved. Later after the stress is gone she will laughs about it. She will say that maybe it was not a waste of money to put those things together.

All I am trying to say is in any relationship one person will take the lead for a specific task, be that cleaning, paying the bills, or preparedness. For we can not all be the leaders, and a good leader helps his charges.