Quote:
Should he have begged her to take it?

No. Because, given the limited amount of information that I have from the posting, much of what he offered was unnecessary.

There is no discussion of going to a shelter. And even if they do, what's wrong with his car? It's there because he just drove up. If he wants to save gas, he doesn't explain that.

As for the shoes, I think that her existing shoes (flip-flops) would be a much better choice than the ones he provides that are probably too big. Considering that they won't have to be walking through debris (it's a power outtage, not an earthquake) and that it isn't cold (or she wouldn't be wearing flip-flops to begin with), she would be far better off with flip-flops that ill fitting shoes without socks, which is a sure recipe for blisters.

The candles are a safety hazard.

The food might be nice, but she hasn't said that she's hungry.

That leaves the flashlights and cash as the only things that are really useful as far as I can tell without more information.

Yes, a "thank you" would have been nice on her part, and she should have been better prepared. However, I maintain that he was just reveling in the situation and he could also have behaved better. Even a bit more explaination on his part could have been better. (e.g. "I think we should go to a shelter, and we have to walk because my car is low on gas. These clothes will be more comfortable for you, and what is your shoe size? Let's take these sleeping bags along because they might not have enough at the shelter. Let's have a snack before we go. And I've got enough cash to see us through a couple of days.")

Oh, and she is his GF. I think that means that she is allowed to have a nervous breakdown in front of him. That's what good friends are for.

-Kuovonne