"For those who do carry fire starting materials as urban EDC, why? Am I missing something? "

I think so, but it all depends on what you press into service.

About a year ago we had a hellacious storm knock out power all over a several county area. Everyone was strung along by politicians promising power to be reconnected soon. Hours turned into days to a little over a week or so for some people not on the repair hierarchy.

No restaurants operating, and no way to cook...especially for those with electric appliances. At my folks' house we had the ability to cook because of my gear. But I also loaned out stoves and cooksets to other folks. Additionally, several folks had no matches, lighters, etc. I gave out what I had and used my emergency firestarters for my family. Had I loaned out the emrgency gear, it's likely they would not have been able to use them well if at all.

On another note, I've been stuck for long periods of time on the road (horrible accidents, etc) with no ability to turn around, go another way, etc. In cold weather I've made meals, hot teas, etc right next to my car. Could I have done that with the cigarette lighter? Sure. But IMHO, the gear I had handy was much easier to use.