Vest or Pack?? Well it all depends.. I use both, and several types of each.
For activities that have the most activity, most chance of loosing items and the most chance that I will need the stuff, I prefer a vest. I use two types. As a Disaster Responder for the Red Cross, I was in New Orleans for 3 weeks. Hot, and total confusion. I moved constantly. A bag of any sort would have been left behind. With the vest, I could reach each item individually. Just open the right pocket and grab. With a shoulder bag, I would have to dig for the item and like as not, something else would get knocked out. I once dropped my (very expensive) ham radio while digging for a GPS. Just noticed the radio in the mud as I walked away. One item, one pocket. Works for me (and you can bet I use lanyards). For hot weather I have a fishing vest which is mostly screening with pockets. But for “normal” I use a “Quite modified” nylon fishing vest which has better pocket arrangement. You will need to experiment to find what works for you.

If I am working in a vehicle (I operate a very sophisticated communications truck), I use a “Range Bag”. Sort of like a duffel bag, but much more rugged. Made for carrying guns and ammo to the range. Opens easily from the top. I can set it on the floor, on the seat or strap it to a wall and still get to things easily. When I change trucks, I just grab it and go. Shoulder bags and backpacks are a nightmare in a vehicle. The straps get tangled in things and they are difficult to work with. They keep falling over and the contents spill out and fall down between the seats.

My major carry bag is a good quality back-pack. It is modified so I can clip the range bag on the front. If necessary, I can walk a long way. It contains my daily needs items like a small sleeping bag, ¾ length pad, change of clothes etc. Stuff that usually remains behind someplace during the day. Hopefully it and I will spend the night together. However the range bag or vest has all the items I really need. Water, meds, communications gear, gps, gloves MRE's and such.

So my suggestion is to get a cheap fishing vest and give it a try. Use it when you are engaging in your most mobile activities. Keep the shoulder bag for more controlled and “social” events.

nomad