>> a capsul of this fluid is poured into a quart of water and allowed to sit for 30 mins, longer depending on temperature <<

Should work fine - the commercial equivalent is Polar Pure.

I used iodine treatment for decades. Doesn't fare well in standardized test against oocystic organisms like giardia (hard to kill chemically) and crypto (extremely hard to kill chemically). The "good" news is that a significant fraction of the population suffers no ill effects from those critters - perhaps as high as 40%. The "bad" news is if you're in the wrong part of the population, giardia can be very uncomfortable and crypto might even kill you rather more directly than giardia.

I've never had any symptoms and there is no doubt that I've drunk a LOT of water known to contain giardia. Pick your reasons - you have to roll your own dice. There are lab results that demonstrate that iodine WILL eventually kill giardia and even crypto, but the wait time is very very long (8 hours or maybe a little longer to be sure with crypto).

I can't use iodine any more because my wife has a (very minor) thyroid condition now. Chlorine dioxide tablets and/or Katadyn Guide filter are what I use now. Take a look at the MSR MIOX - it works extremely well and is not all that large. Or maybe the Steri-Pen. Paramedic Pete tested these a while back in his lab and confirmed the claims. I would feel a little more confident with the MIOX, personally.

There are simple methods for avoiding the oocsytic critters - like going shallow in deep calm water (they sink). That's the practice in places like the Boundary Waters region between the US and Canada. Extend that fact into a little care and cleverness with multiple containers (at least 2) and you should be able to significantly improve the odds in your favor. Iodine works great on everything else.

HTH,

Tom