I have both the sparklite and have made a pseudo-sparklite from a mini bic disposable butane lighter.(Tom Ayers has as well). The original spark-lite beats the copy hands down in terms of quality and sturdiness. But in terms of firestarting ability, they are about on par (OK the spark-lite generates more sparks). If you've got the right tinder, both will do the job. I would say the pseudosparklite is even better than a MFS in terms of starting a fire with the same tinder (MFS=lots of sparks but going everywhere at once cf. conc. sparks on the sparklite/mini-bic head)<br><br>The plus side of the pseudo-sparklite is that it is really easy to make on your own, functional and the bottom of the lighter can be filled with fishing gear / matches / tinder to save on space in a PSK. A simple and fun project to do on your own and is virtually free if you take someone's used lighter (the butane usually runs out before the sparking ability, but best to start with a fresh new lighter, unless you want to replace the flint)<br>It's a little exercise in thinking out of the box and like tom did, a good scout project.<br>Also, for guys like me who have to order the sparklite from the US its a good start.<br><br>here's the link to tom's post <br>Scout project<br><br>Plus, you won't throw away the bic lighter now after it's gas has run out. It can still start many fires. So if you know how to modify it, you would have two fire starting devices in one !

Edited by Trusbx (06/08/02 02:19 AM)