My bug out is similiar, but rather than something like what Simon describes being my start, it is my destination. If everythign goes according to plan (wish me luck on job interview), two hours by car to get to my folks, no big deal. Average speed, 50mph+. Take the alternative routes, it increases to 3, even four hours with some of them.

Assuming my car doesn't have a problem. If it has wheels, I don't trust it all that much.

Hundred, hundred twenty miles, I can do that in four or five days on foot. And not a lick of that is going to be cross country. I'd rather not be mistaken for a fool flatlander at that point. On the major route, I'd probably only have to spend one of those nights outside, if everyone is home, but if they aren't or there are complications, I need the gear. And I need it light, and compact, becuase odds are anything going wrong will be in winter and I'll need extra gear.

Sure, I'm planning for a near worst case senario, but it is the one that I need to keep in mind.

And Simon hit on the head of the difference between US and Canada requirements, and the requirements of Europe- there are a lot less of us per square whatever. Sure, most of our population lives in the urban areas, but a lot of those of us on ETS (who I unfortunately can not consider an accurate cross section of our individual nations' people) who are in the US are rural. I have to drive 10 miles to get a gallon of milk or gas when I'm at my folks. Not as far as some, but a lot more than most.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.