The law on carry of fixed blade and lock knives in the UK is not what I personally would wish, but it is not as bad as has been portrayed here. The law allows one to carry anything with good reason - and contrary to views expressed here there are no magistrates who decide that there can be no good reason. The law in fact enshrines several good reasons, such as for religious reasons and for work. Basically, if you have a good reason, you can carry.

I enjoy bushcraft; when I'm in the woods I often carry a Ray Mears designed fixed blade. Along with my firesteel, cooking pot etc it is obvious what I am up to and no reasonable person is going to question my carry. Trying to carry the same knife to a football match would be likely to find me in court as I doubt any police officer would consider it reasonable.

The law here is designed to prevent (mainly) youngsters from going armed on the streets. Whether or not it achieves that aim is a separate debate, but its effect on generally law abiding citizens is minimal. In my 42 years, I have never even been questioned by the police let alone searched - I just don't fit the profile. I have carried a pocket knife of some sorts for most of those years without problem.

One point I would make is that at least I know what the law is wherever I go in the UK. In the US, the local variations make such knowledge difficult to obtain - for instance it is not legal to carry a locking blade knife in San Antonio TX if the web is to be believed.