>>>I carry a water bottle with me in the woods for routine use, and that would become my survival water container. <<<<br><br>Of course, STUFF happens, so a container in the kit would still be worthwhile. For example, my watter bottles are in sleeves on either side of my fanny pack main pouch. They're pretty secure, but it is possible that they could fall out if I fall into a river or tumble down a steep incline. Both of those scenarios may never come to pass, but having a condom in the kit that's succured in a zipper pouch or pocket adds protection. I'll look into the mylar ballon. Would that be a small version of the party ballons one can buy (like for lowers)?<br><br>>>>I noted that one Boy Scout troop in particular doesn't allow it's Scouts to bring lighters on camping trips.<<<<br><br>Technically, they are not allowed. But I and my son both carry one. They're the type that's water and wind proof. He's under instructions that he's not to use it unless it's an emergency or urgent (like stating the gas stove under windy conditions). Other than that, we keep them in our belt knife/flashlight pouchs.<br><br>>>>Good luck to your Scout with his WS merit bagde. That's one I hold myself.<<<<br><br>I'm tickled that he picked up on my suggestion. He's not one to be into nature and stuff. He loves camping and especially loves summer camp. But his focus has been on the water sports and handicraft areas. So it'll be interesting to see if he follows through and does in fact decide to sign up.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL