I'm a bit surprised by the general trepidation expressed by some of the posts. I'll admit that most, myself included, have never been subjected to the rigors of a true survival situation so we must answer with a modicum degree of humility and error on the side of caution.<br><br>Still, I have to beleive that most, if not all of us on the forum, would likely survive 4 weks in the wild provided the conditions were not too extreem (desert or arctic) and barring severe personal injury. After all, the PSK is justa set of tools to support the most import tool we all carry, our brains. Even the most inexerienced of us should have learned enough from this forum and our other experiences to make enough "right" choices and avoid serious "wrong" choices to last 4 weeks. If not, them perhaps it's time to reexamine what you put in your PSK.<br><br>I know we slamed the TV "Survivor" show as being basically inane. But even those inept, unskilled soap apera wanna-be's lasted 4 weeks. Granted, they had meager rations and evac helocopters on call, but they basically did very little to "survive." Most of use would at least be able to do as well as them, and I hope we'd actually do a bit better than them.<br><br>Perhaps I'm looking at a glass half full.<br><br>But this does drive home an important point. All of the forum emails and catalog orders won't help one iota if we do not practice the skills. I have practiced using bits and pieces of my kit, setting fire to a couple of tinder tabs from Park-Rite, for example. But I haven't strung then together in a realistic setting and I should.<br><br>I displayed the contents of my unassembled PSK to the boys in our scout troop last January and issue a challenge to them. I encouraged them to persue Wilderness Survival merit badge at camp this summer. One of the requirements is to build a shelter and spend one night in it. I told them that I would do the same if they did. I tok a quick poll a two weeks ago and about a half dozen scouts are still planning on doing it. So I'll be out there too. I know it's only on night, but its a start. Perhaps I'll organize a survival theme weekend campout for the "survivors" where we set out with only our fanny packs and PSKs. Again, not too stressfull, but it will start to build on the summer camp experience.