Quote:
...once you've started using those crank radios, they are generally on their way downhill...

For the recent models that only have a (usually not user-replaceable) rechargeable battery and get used frequently, I would generally agree with this statement. I have a Coleman Ranger that I listen to daily in the morning. It's a solidly built AM/FM radio, unlike many other hand-cranks out there, but I have noticed that its rechargeable battery lasts for fewer days now than when new. Short of disassembling it, there's no provision for replacing it. Bummer. For radios like the FR series, which can also accept regular batteries, that is a plus. But if you're forced to use regular batteries because the rechargeable has gone bad, then that negates the reason for having a hand-crank in the first place.

In contrast, I also have a spring-driven Freeplay Plus-type radio with solar panel that has served me well for many years. Despite a lot of use, I haven't noticed the spring wearing out. I take comfort in knowing that there is no battery to wear out or to worry about when in long-term storage. So, with this radio, whether I use it often or just leave it in the closet, I feel like I can count on it. Too bad spring-driven radios are all but extinct these days.