You ask a good question. I believe that MY first aid kit should contain items that I know how to use, and YOUR kit should contain items that you know how to use. For example, first responder first aid in my county includes inserting oral airways, so I have the training and experience. I would not know what to do with a suture, so I would not try. For the most part, meds are for me or those I know personally, not the general public. My first aid kit is not a commercial kit, but is put together based upon my training and experience. I know how my body will react to certain meds, but I have no idea how someone else will react, or what might already be in their system. I won't even give someone an over the counter med, but I will assist them in taking whatever they have and think that they need. IMHO, first aid is ABCSS--Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Stoping serious bleeding, and treating Shock. When someone comes along with more experience and education, they get to take over and do what they believe is appropriate. And since I am in the documentation business, I write a nice report about what I saw, what I did, and what was done by others. A first aid kit and some knowledge can save a life. A good incident report can save a lawsuit, or at least direct the lawsuit at the correct person (and not me).