Myoptiks - Good question. See Hikerdon's reply. I have some spectra in my climbing gear. Even there, it has limited use. Accessory cord and webbing is much more versitile. The lack of versatility is the key to answering your question, I think. Using things for what one needs versus what they are "intended for" can be an important element in many situations - including routine non-life-threatening situations.<br><br>Spectra has a number of characteristics that are drawbacks. It's not so expensive as to preclude experimenting with, though. If you have the opportunity to trial it, please do so and report back here. I suggest that you consider a smaller diameter than paracord - something in the 2mm - 3mm range should be quite adequate. I would not consider using cord as a life line - think whole-body-garote - the fact that it is virtually inelastic can be either a good thing or a bad thing, but note that it is NOT commonly used as rope in climbing applications - that should clue us to something (equipment cost is no barrier to many climbers these days, and spectra can be purchased in up to 5" diameter, I believe)<br><br>No sense kicking this more - maybe it could have a place in ones gear. I have spectra cord and things made from spectra and am familiar enough with it to not care to experiment with it for general outdoors use. I routinely use a variety of cordage for general outdoors applications, paracord being only one. Perhaps you can trial some spectra and let us know how it works?