I think that the new wonder fibers definitely have a place in a survival kit where strength vs. weight and bulk are critical. Some of the new generation stuff is amazing and you are starting to see, for the first to time, advanced fibers specifically designed to be used as handled lifelines in swiftwater rescue and emergency egress systems. Most of these new aramid based materials; kevlar, spectra, etc certainly have their drawbacks and limitations, but these are being overcome.<br>That being said...<br>Parecord is one of the most multi-purpose indespensible items you could have. In fact, if I could only have one bulk material when the chips are down, I would choose genuine mil-spec paracord every time. I would choose it over duct tape, trash bags, space blankets not to mention spyderwire, gemini cord, trip tease or other aramid cordage.<br><br>Most of the paracord that can be sourced locally is vastly inferior to mil-spec. The cheap stuff is noted to have diffuse inner fibers, fibers of different colors of type, and loose sheaths prone to snagging. This stuff is a liability and very aggrivating to work with.<br>Get the good stuff, there are many places that sell it, including<br>www.actiongear.com.<br>I usually carry a bootlace worth (72 inches) in my pocket or somewhere on my person.<br>