Tradition, potential benefits, cost, availability.<br><br>Paracord is widely used by the US military. Outdoorsman frequently look to the military for ideas. Lots of the military ideas filter into non-military applications.<br><br>Paracord is relatively strong for its size compared to similar size rope you might buy at the hardware store. Compared to climbing ropes, it is low strength. It depends on your knowledge base. <br><br>Spectra is not very commonly sold in hardware stores or outdoor stores. You have to know what it is you are looking for and then go and get it. My investigation into spectra is very dated but if I remember correctly that it is low stretch, high strength. <br><br>Years ago I used to carry braided nylon rope, 1/8"x50'. I usually carried two hanks and tried never to cut it. You can still buy it at hardware stores for $2 a hank. 244lbs breaking strength and typically only available in white. For tying up tarps, lashing gear to your pack, makeshift tent lines, hoisting a bear bag, general use it works fine. It is nylon so will not rot, mildew, and can be put away wet. Its so low cost, I could cut it or lose a hank and never worry about it.<br><br>Paracord is a step up. Twice the strength for at least twice the cost but same size. It also comes in "tactical" colors like black and olive drab. It is supposedly more better because you can dismantle it in different ways. It is milspec which adds prestige. <br><br>Spectra would be another step up in cost and strengh for similar sized rope. For most of my applications, the additional strength of paracord is unnessary and spectra probably even less so given the cost.<br><br>Somewhere in there is climbing accessory cord. High strength, low stretch, low maintenance, higher cost, fun fashion colors. A drawback is the ends need to be burned to keep it from unraveling. You have to make a special trip to the climbing store and then decide which color you would prefer. You have to find the high school kid clerk, wait for the cutting knife to warm up, and measure out your desired length, and the watch while the cashier does the math of 50 feet of rope at $0.13 a foot is ....?...?...?