I deal with this all the time. My advice: Think minimal.

No, more minimal than that. And look at your situation and think again. Are you really going to need a compass, 50-feet of rope, and a fishing kit in the restaurant? Not really. So break up your EDC.

Here is what I do:

On me, I carry only the minimum that I need day-to-day and the barest emergency essentials (see, cut, make fire, signal). These items that do not bulge, or require additional pouches or bags to carry. In practice, that means I have on my keyring a Leatherman Squirt S4, an Infinity Ultra, a P-38 Can opener (sentimental reasons) and a Boy Scout Hot Spark. Keyring and a Bic lighter are in a pocket. In my wallet I have a couple of band-aids, a flat cotton ball, an extra $20, and the ‘ol Amex Card. Around my neck I have my military dog tags (with my medical allergy tag), a metal whistle, and a third blank dog tag that I polished smooth for use as a signal mirror. In between the dog tags is another $20. Cellphone/PDA on my belt. This will deal with the most probable situations I will run into, and at least allow me to get out of the diner and to my car, where I have............

Cliff's Neat-O-Daytimer. That has my “second-line” EDC. Since my earlier post on this, I have added some latex gloves, a disposable N95 mask, and some Purell wipes. My Daytimer is usually with me, but, if it is not convenient to carry it somewhere (say, a government building, or out dining with the wife and friends), it is always in the car.

Problem solved. Go modular. And, keep an eye on all of the possible exits out from where you are, and plan how to get to them. (Handy bit of wisdom, that is.)

…..CLIFF