My wife and I are going out for a group date with a couple of her ex-coworkers and their spouses. I have met one of her friends a couple of times, briefly, but not the other or either spouse. Plans are to go to a movie and dinner afterwards. I don't know if we're going someplace like McDonald's, Olive Garden or something more fancy.

Tonight my wife told me, told me that I would wear khakis or nice jeans, but no cargos. I simply said that I was okay with that, but I wanted to take my Maxpedition Proteus, which holds all my EDC belt and cargo pocket carry items. She asked if I would be willing to leave it in the car.

She claims that her friends are more business casual kinds of people. I get the fact that she doesn't want my habits to embarass her in front of her friends. She asked if she could carry my things in her purse, so I didn't have to carry an "embarassing man bag". It seems to be a reasonable compromise, since two Spec Ops mini pocket organizers ride in my cargo pockets, my wife's purse is big enough to add those for a night and most importantly, I don't want to cause unnecessary friction in my pregnant wife's life.

She knows that I like to dress casually as much as possible and I do have some sense of what kind of clothes are appropriate for certain situations, but this seems like a judgement call. Baring the option of khaki cargos, what would other people do in this situation?