It seems that nearly everyone's kit contains some length of paracord.<br><br>Given that paracord has, I believe, a strength of only 550 lbs, why not use spectra cord or some other high tech cord of the same diameter that is much, much stronger. <br><br>Even if a cord will mainly be used in emergency situations to hold up a tarp, wouldn't it be better to have a cord that you could use IF YOU ABSOLUTELY HAD TO as a life line? <br><br>For example spectron 12 has an approximate strength of 3,800 lbs for 3/16 cord (which is about the same size as paracord) and even 1,800 lbs for 1/8. The cord has the advantage of floating and not absorbing water - unlike paracord.<br><br>Yes, it costs a pretty penny, but it seems worth it to me.<br><br> I know that some people mention being able to use a strand from the parcord for fishing. First, you are going to make a mess of the cord unsheathing it and trying to remove one strand. Second, there are a number of super high strength braided fishing lines that are so compact that there is no excuse not to include them in your kit.<br><br>(And yes, I know that questioning paracord is a bit like badmouthing apple pie to some people . . .)