These are all great responses and we are going to consider all of them in our discussions.

Our teams do carry a full trauma gear broken down into modules so no one person carries all the load, we also usually have more than one trained Emergency Medical Technician on each team as well.

The question arose when an off duty team members was out in a state park and assisted to a mountain biker that was injured and a member that was in a home improvement business when a young child tipped over a sink of some sort and received a major laceration to the arm, the first thing the person done was reach for his EDC PFAK and it just wasn’t enough. So as stated you improvise and quickly I might add.

I hope I did not imply (it was not my intent) that immobilizing injury is the leading cause of survival situations. That being said, I have worked several hundred searches in my career and medical problems have been at least in the top three. As was mentioned lost or disoriented and weather are (or have been in my observations) at the top of the list as well.

I thank you all again