Picked up a Gerber (Fiskars) "Sport Axe" on sale at the local Gander Mountain this weekend and thrashed, er, tested, it pretty heavily as we were limbing out a big 99% dead ash tree prepartory to dropping it next weekend. I really like it! I have some minor concern about the handle being potentially slippery and am idly considering putting some 3M stuff on it - probably the thin textured rubber anti-skid applique, as I have some of that and the supplemental adhesive on hand.<br><br>Andy C. - is it you who has one of these (or the Back Paxe version)? Whomever, any comments on handle gripability in nasty conditions?<br><br>Sure, this is no Granfors Bruks hand-forged axe, but it sure is sweet for a mass-produced hand axe. It chops well in both semi-green and seasoned ash and mulberry. I could easily skin bark off without damage to the poles, and it takes knots off like they were planed off. Chops as well (better) than any one-hand axe I remember using. I was a little disappointed at first when I took it out of the package, as there was a wire edge on it. I was going to take it off, then thought, "Nah! Use it the way it came out of the box - see how it does." So I just used it, and from the first swing it bit in like only a sharp axe can. Wire edge is gone - as is the PTFE coating on the edge bevel. No nicks or dings, and I think a little touch with the axe stone will make it super-sharp.<br><br>Easy to control, interesting (nice) balance, great at suitable tasks - I'd have to rate this a very good value in a one-hand axe! Too heavy for routine "Be Prepared" day pack for me, but I think this will be on my regular pack from now on.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom