I wasn't there, so yeah, I guess I shouldn't have made a comment. However, in my limited experience on this planet, more people don't care to understand the complete world around them, and usually do or say things that aren't intelligent. We all know nurses are smart, or else they wouldn't be working in hospitals (I hope). But alot of people just do what they are told, NOT trying to find out the logic and reasoning behind what they were told. Unfortunately, sometimes in todays word you have to say things that are stupid to protect yourself from liability.

Anyway, the fire doors are there to prevent the spread of the fire between the two areas. They are usually held open by electromagnets. When the alarm goes off, the magents are turned off. If there is a loss of power they will also close. They are "automatic" so that individuals in the building don't have to run around closing them. They can concentrate on getting people out. If there is no fire on either side, it can be opened without a problem. Someone should always ensure the door is shut behind them though or it won't be effective. Maybe the nurse should have said "shut the door behind you." That would seem more intelligent.