I'm not commenting, but compairing the different techniques and equipments used by our and your Fire-Departement.

I've done a lot of work at the fire station, on the engines, done Heat-training and worn al sorts of protective clothing, so I do know what I'm talking about.

About American protective equipment, your right, I haven't tryed it, therefor I'm posting it. To find out what you use and how you fight fires.

And if you don't want to reply on the forum, just send me a PM.

About the helmet: Ironraven said that it doesn't protect the neck. What do you mean by that? Fire-protection or debris-protection?
If it's debris protection: That's true, but if we're in a building, we usually croutch and then the air-cylinder on the fire-fighter's back protects his neck to. So between the air-cylinder and the helm there isn't much space to let debris fall. BTW, you should always look in front of you to see if there're lose pieces of debris.

If it's fire-protection I disargee. On the back there isn't a flap of Nomex, but a flap that also has 2 side-flaps that go next to his face
and have velcro that secures under his chin. So together with his face-mask, the helmet provides full fire-protection. Most also wear a woolen balaclava under it.

(This isn't me)
http://weblog.flippie.nl/images/brandweerman_flip.jpg

Edited by JIM (04/30/06 06:00 PM)