I recommend against having BOB backpacks for very young children to carry. Although a young child might be able to carry a backpack, and might even do so on a regular basis (e.g. to and from pre-school or daycare), would you really want to *depend* on the child carrying a backpack in an unusual, potentially dangerous situation? It is all too easy for a child to get distracted, tired, scared, etc. and take off or forget the backpack. I would put a young child in charge of only stuff that you can do without if it is lost (e.g. small comfort toys or redundant supplies), to give them something to do and to build training.

Although you can teach a young child what to do in an emergency, and even reherse it. I would not build plans that *depend* on a young child executing *any* tasks (including carrying a BOB backpack) until the child is much older.

You ask which is the better alternative: "grab one bag from the closet" or "pass out backpacks". I think that either alternative would be too easy to forget in an emergency, unless it was rehersed frequently. Here are some alternatives: 1) Store the gear in the car so that she doesn't have to remember to get it. Or, 2) if she regularly carries a diaper bag whenever she goes out, ask if you can tuck a few extra things in it for her "just in case". That way, she if she has to go, she just grabs the bag that she always grabs out of habit. (This is what I do.)

If you really want her to have more gear than you can store in the car, don't tuck it away in the closet. Put it someplace more visible, like along the wall in the garage. If it's tucked away in the closet where she doesn't see it, it *will* be forgotten in an emergency.

Re: the cargo pants with zip off legs. Yes, you might think they look funny, but it is a very pratical idea. It is also great when traveling as you can pack less clothing yet still be prepared for a variety of climates.

Oh, and these are just my opinions as a mom to a pre-schooler. I'm no expert.

-Kuovonne