My two year old is still pretty young for learning survival skills. We're still working on "don't walk into the street without a grown-up". I think that when she's older DH will take care of all the outdoorsy stuff. The two outdoorsy things that we have taught her so far are that there are "owie" bugs and plants and "okay to touch" bugs and plants. We have a book with pictures of insects and when we read it, she asks if it's okay to touch each insect. When we get to the bumblebee, she always says that it's an owie insect (she was stung by one last week). We also had the chance to show her poison ivy over the weekend. She can't reliably count "leaves of three" but she can understand that some plants can make her sick just by touching them, so always ask first when in the woods. DH also gave her a whistle and is trying to teach her to blow it three times as loud as she can and hug a tree if she gets lost. We've had really mixed results in that area. So I guess that I'm rambling here, but my point is that there are lots of simple safety/survival skills you can start to teach kids as young as two, although I still wouldn't let her out of sight when outdoors.

-Kuovonne