>>They are good for small children since they are non-toxic, no heat, no flame. There are a good way for kids to have a light with them and feel more safe. <<<<br><br>I am assebling a set of Fanny Packs for my younger kids and I am including light stick expressly for this purpose. If either of them were to become separated and lost in the woods, having a safe light source to comfort them will hopefully reduce their fears.<br><br>>>>The problem is the kids need to have some good hand strength or be taught how to turn them on via other methods. <<<<br><br>I will issue them to them on our next "hike" next spring were we can pretend we are lost and review all of the rules they should follow This will include snapping a spare stick so they can be suere how to do it,<br><br>BTW, I've just picked up somwe Colman emergency ponchos for them. They will fit easily into their packas and they are a bright orange color. So aside from providing protection from the elements, they would be easier to spot from a distance.