While I'm certain most don't have bad intentions, the mainstay of our health industry is money. Everything factors down to this it seems. Some pharma rep needs to make their sales quota for club, a doctor makes the easy choice instead of the responsible one, and the patient either knowingly or otherwise contributes to the cycle by not reading or understanding the instructions (or simply not caring).

I agree that the industry has come up with some amazing drugs, but the bugs are starting to outpace our ability to control them by every account I've read. I hope we can come up with some magic bullets because we are probably going to need them sooner rather than later.

The one bad thing about capitalism is that the market is often ignorant or apathetic to that which harms them over time. Thus the feedback loop gets broken until it's far to late and great damage has been done. Of course corporations have a vested interest in keeping that loop from completing. Consumers (which we are bred to be from birth) are very myopic when it comes to long term problems. We are addicted to quick and cheap... much to our detriment. The old "penny-wise and pound-foolish" has never been more true than in our current society.