Well, first let me say I think you greatly underestimating the available space, and the population it can support without external supplies. After three weeks without food shipments, in all likelyhood there won't be a single wild animal bigger than a rabbit alive between NYC and the Candian border. Everyone's plan is, head north to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine/Upstate. Speaking as a Vermonter, we'll probably be eating flatlanders before they eat our deer. DO NOT head to the hills unless you have family there who can vouche for you, becuase if the sit is as bad as you say, then we aren't getting our supplies either, which come from warehouses in the Boston-Manchester area. Every rural area is like that. The cold hard reality is, every community in the civilized world is 120 hours from the stone age. Hospital supplies, fuel, food, these all depend on resupply every two-three days.

Second, wolves aren't a problem. Neither are coyotes, so long as you don't keep trash in camp. Which is what would attact a bear. You'll have more problems with feral dogs and moose. Moose don't care, and ferals are crazy, they aren't afraid of anything, and people are stupid enough to think they can reunite the poor lost doggy with it's owner. Until it bites them.

With what' you've given me, head for highish ground or go to the edge of a swamp. Fewer people that way. Clear for a cabin or longhouse. Start with with a temp shelter in either case, and build off of it until it makes a good shed, then start work on the big house.

The senario, no offense, is not really feasible. There simply isn't the distance needed to isolate the rural areas from something going wrong in the nearby urban areas. The storm that hits Boston might have rub me over four or five hours earlier. It it goes due east from the Berks, three hours. Weather isn't localized. If you want to really be away from a storm, it has to be geographically little and stationary, like a tornado.

Even though it isn't the answer you expected, it is the reality answer. A disruption will be localized, like Katrina and Andrew or a quake, which means outside relief will go in under 120 hours. OR it will be big, like a civil war, which means you are better off not going into the countryside in conditions where people will get clannish and asking outsiders things like "what can you do?" before they throw you out

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.