Devil's advocate here......The need for centerfire arms in a BOB or PSK is driven by fear and one's need to feel prepared. There's a pretty strong statement.... I know, I hear ya, "I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need a gun a not have it".........

I'll have to agree with that, BUT, when it comes to preparing a BOB/PSK for survival situations, do you really want to lug around 20 pounds of shotgun, .45 pistol, and ammo on your back, along with real necessities, gallons of water and maybe 20 pounds of other survival stuff? And just how proficient are you with that pistol? Do you shoot once a week? Once a month? Can you hit a 3" circle at 50 feet?

Here's some simple weight comparisons of just ammo.
Five hundred rounds of:
.38 = 16+ pounds,
.45 = 24 +pounds.
.22 = 5 pounds

Think about it, small game, rabbits, fowl, squirrels, are not going to be very appetizing after being vaporized with a centerfire. And even if you cut these weights by 75% there's still a lot to carry.

IMHO, for long term survival it is worth while to become very proficient with a .22 rimfire pistol (or rifle). There's high velocity and hollow point ammo that will take larger game and work for self defense if need be. So, if you have to ditch your vehicle and make good on foot to a 72 hour or longer safe-place, leave the heavies back at home or in the car.

Discussion?