Years ago someone told me a pack should be a bag full of bags. They proposed everything goes in a ziplock. They are clear so you can see the contents, they are resealable, they are watertight, they are odortight (used socks), and they are cheap. Since then I have used that idea whether I am loading a pack for a hike or a suitcase for a business trip. <br><br>I tend to put like supplies together into various sized ziplocks to make finding things easier. I have a sewing kit that has a pack of upholstery needles, pack of assorted size sewing needles, safety pins, spools of waxed thread, folding scissors, awl, buttons, thimble, needle threader, etc. All that stuff goes in a single quart ziplock. It keeps it all together and easy to find. Instead of rummaging around looking for the small needle package, I just pull out the ziplock of sewing stuff. <br><br>I can easily see whats inside each ziplock. Other family members who may not be as familiar with the packs can easily find stuff if I am unavailable. Similar use or items that would be used with each other are bagged together. For instance there is a plastic spoon and McD's packet of honey in the ziplock with the instant oatmeal. It I can find some hot water, pour the water in the ziplock and it becomes my bowl. When all through, the trash goes in the ziplock and clean up is done.<br><br>You can put as many ziplocks in a daypack as you need and not worry about running out of colors. If you need something, you can easily dump out the entire daypack and not worry about losing something. You know all the equipment is grouped together, it is easy to see, it wont get wet.<br><br>I keep thinking someday I will get some nylon stuff sacks and develop a system of color coding my equipment. Then I take my Sharpie maker and write on the outside of my ziplock "Sewing Kit". Or I am repacking my stuff and I notice through the ziplock that I only have 2 quarters and 2 dimes and think payphones no longer are $.10, why not replace with all quarters and a pre-paid phone card?<br><br>As to the type of container for the total 72 hour kit, I propose something that can be worn like a backpack. Duffels will work if the straps are long enough to be used like sholder straps. As some point you may have to carry this kit and I would perfer to have my hands free. I have a Rubbermaid tub that has 4 fanny packs, some water bottles, and tyvek coveralls. I can throw the Rubbermaid tub in the vehicle and move all the stuff in one motion. I know the contents wont get crushed and its all in there. If I have to abandon the vehicle, every family member can stuff a water bottle in the pouch on the side of the fanny pack, put on the tyvek coverall for basic protection, and snap the fanny pack around their waist. Protected, Portable, Complete.<br><br>A while back someone on another board had a 5 gallon plastic bucket contest. See what you can fit into a single 5 gallon bucket and make a theme kit. I was able to fit my daypack 72 hour kit into the bucket along with a couple of bottled waters. The bucket has a handle so can be carried, is crush proof, with the lid on can be watertight, bugproof, and is generic enough not to arouse suspision. If I grow tired of lugging the bucket, I can wear the daypack and use the bucket as a seat, something to collect berries or water, or leave behind with little concern. Ziplocks in a daypack in a bucket. A bag full of bags.