Here in Phoenix our Boy Scout Troop takes a turn at working at a "soup kitchen". It is St. Vincent de Paul Chris Becker Memorial Dinning Room. They feed 7 days a week from 5 to 6 PM. We go and set up tables and serve food. We then clean up when their time is up.

I have truly seen the homeless first hand! They are mostly mildly mentally ill and/or on drugs. Sometimes they smell of sweat and/or urine. They look like a cross section of America as far as race and intelligence. They are mostly clean and do not smell. I suspect we pass homeless people every day and do not realize they are homeless.

I think the most camouflaged person in America is an average middle class white guy. If you don't look grubby are wearing jeans, a polo shirt, tennis shoes and no "bling" you are invisible to other Americans and the police. The homeless pushing a shopping cart or sleeping on a bus stop bench stick out.

I suspect if you look the way you normally do and are not doing something strange that no one will be interested.

Just don't look like an easy target!