I don't know. Maybe. Probably. But really, how are they going to know?

Good point about carefully selecting the location of the storage. It needs to be far enough away that it's unlikely to be in the path of the hurricane (well outside the 24 hour predicted strike area), yet close enough to reach on a single tank of gas in bad traffic. It also needs to have good access from off the highway in case an accident or ten blocks traffic.

I don't think these are too difficult to solve. I found a couple of likely spots a few hours drive (under normal conditions) from my house. And while it sounds kind of "survivalist", it'd really just amount to a saturday drive. Rent the storage facility, fill up the empty gas cans in the trunk, take everything back to the storage unit, drop off, go home.

I'm still not convinced it'd be of much help. The scenario I have in mind is the "late evacuation". Deciding to evacuate when it's obvious there's danger means leaving town with all the other idiots. It might be nice to know that there's fuel and food cached along the evacuation route. And this does sound extreme, but if you rented a big enough place, you could just back the car in and spend the night. Wouldn't want to, but by the time you get there, you're no longer in danger (in principal), yet hotel rooms are probably impossible to find. Wait out the traffic, continue evac in the morning.

All this for, what? $60 a month? Rent from June 1 to November 1, that's $300 evac insurance. :-)