I'll second the vote for the Garmin GPSmap 60C (Sx) series, I have a 60CSx and it was worth every penny for my purposes. At $500+, there may be better choices for others.

I have had a number of Garmin GPS over the years and a few GPSs from other manufacturers. I have also had the opportunity work with some of the newer GPS units from Magellan, Cobra, and Lowrance while teaching. While some of these had neat features, I wouldn’t buy any of them. The Garmins I have used have been more durable, better power consumption, more accurate more consistently, better compatibility with 3rd party mapping software, and better reception.

My advice, look at what features you need (want) and pick a Garmin that has all those features. I highly recommend one of Garmins new “x” series with a removable memory card.

I have a 512mb card in my 60CSx (with software version 2.60) and I was able to load Topo and City Select maps for all of AZ, UT, NV, NM, CO, CA (south of NV north boarder) and West TX! Garmin’s Topo data isn’t as detailed as Magellan’s, but I have never wished I have had more detail on my GPS… however I use my GPS as a tool to use with a good map not as a replacement for a map. Using a GPS as a replacement for a map is a dangerous practice, and a recipe to find yourself on the receiving end of a search mission.