Let me start by saying that I have only read a few of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating another's thoughts, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I recently purchased a Cold Steel Voyager on ebay for $25 including shipping. I saw their "More Proof" DVD and was impressed by the demonstrations they performed, and I've had an interest in their knives ever since. It seems to be a solid knife, and for the money, I'm glad I got it.

With any of these knives, shop around. Most online retailers will be comparable, but it never hurts to look for the best deal. Ebay may be the least expensive way to go. Most of the Cold Steel Voyagers (medium...has a 3 inch blade) go for around $30-$35 on Ebay...mine was a little less because it listed as a new knife with a used pocket clip.

I posted a reply to one of lazermonkey's comments in this thread which includes my impressions of the RSK as a new owner.

If you stick to $25 knives, then you could buy two different models that you are interested in, stay in budget and gain some insight in the models you choose to see what you really like and don't like about them.

Bottom line is: I don't think you'll be disappointed when you do get an RSK. Until then, good luck in your search!

My first folding knife was a combo. I read an article in Black Belt magazine about folders and it suggested the combo for versatility sake because the serrated part could be used to cut a seat belt if needed. Be sure if you choose a combo that you have a method for sharpening both parts of the blade. The Spyderco Tri Angle Sharpmaker will easily sharpen straight and serrated (and it an excellent sharpener IMHO) but they run about $75, so that might be another item worth saving for. Something like a Gatco Tri Ceps could sharpen the serrated, and those are relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Ors (03/14/06 05:02 AM)