The only issue will be the ability to view the data. I was ata client site recently and we were installing software off of a couple USB flash drives, mine a lexar jumpdrive and someone elses sandisk cruiser. We found that about 1/2 the windows pc's would actauly recognize the flash drives without problems, others would recognize one or the other and others still we would have to download the inf file from lexar or sandisk's web site and even then one or two old pc's had issues.
Other alturnatives I have thought of are:
1. PDA, palm/pocket pc whatever, these are popular and very entry level models can be bought for under $100, this way you can read your data.
2. mini/business card cd's. These couls fit in a PSK and even double as a signaling mirror, they hold ~200M.
3. Cell phone. Most of us carry one for one reason or another. Most cell phones made in the last few years have some basic pda functionality. Utilizing a cheap synch cable from ebay and free software called bitpim I've been able to send my address book, calendar and simple text memos to my phone so I have some basic data there as well.