I have been a lurker for many years, but I thought I might have something to add to this thread.

The best thing you can do is to get your staff to understand that there may someday be an emergency, and on that day, they will be responsible for their well being and that of their colleges. As their manager, you must motivate them.

I would recommend starting an emergency committee, and ask for volunteers. You will first get the people who are already believers. Have this group meet once a week for four weeks to get things started, then once a month. This committee should send out a monthly newsletter or email with advice on what people could do to prepare at work and at home. Rotate people on the committee, slowly working in those who do not believe in emergency preparedness. This will expose them to the thought process and may get them to prepare.

I agree with the advice of providing drinking water for your staff, first aid and CPR training, and several good first aid kits for the office. Your senior staff should have some communication radios to keep you informed of the situation in an emergency. Small battery powered AM/FM radios are important, as I learned in two emergencies at work, but I think workers should provide their own.

Spud