My food storage has never been extreme long term. No wheat berries, or rice packed in mylar lined, 5 gal bucket with oxygen absorbers. Not that I have a problem with that. Anyone willing to go that route has my admiration.

I'm more of the 5 year canned food kinda guy and I adhere to the ‘buy what you eat’ philosophy. I keep about a 2-3 month supply of food not counting the freezer. We keep a few MRE's and I am thinking about getting into some Mountain House freeze-dried or dehydrated. I also don’t buy large #10 cans very often. An example - I would like to have some powdered eggs on hand. I picked up a small package at a Army/Navy store once for the family to try. They will eat it but don’t really care for them. If I buy a #10 can, it’s shelf life is 5 yrs. unopened, 1 yr. open. No way is my family going to eat a #10 can of powdered eggs in a year UNLESS it’s an emergency situation. A smaller can opened I will eat, so no waste.

My inventory style is first in - first out. I personally stock the pantry, not relying on my wife. I rotate every new can to the back of the shelf. I do the shopping on the weeks that my paycheck comes in and I don't really care (within reason) with what groceries cost that week. My wife prides herself on how little groceries cost her in a given week (that's cool, too).

Bottom line is my food supply cost a little more than could if I went store brand or bulk purchase. My way is a path of least resistance from my wife and family but prepares us for an uncertain future.

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"