Chris - Interesting! Thanks. You would not believe how many folks ask me about those types of knives... and they sure beat some of the alternatives. I'll pass on your mods and tips. <br><br>I think I mentioned a "survival knife" my wife gave me many years ago, but it's a 'nother animal from the "issue" styles - and it's been a surprisingly really good knife. I think it has what is called a "saber grind", so it can be a beast to re-sharpen, but it holds an edge exceptionally well. I could do without the "sawback" - but I seem to recall that you recently hacked up a truck cap with one as a simulation of going thru the side of a downed aircraft. I can't think of anything simple to do to eliminate the sawback on mine... so it remains - mostly as an irritant when splitting wood.<br><br>I'm still "playing" with an SRK I bought last year - so far, I like it. Don't like the crinkly powder coat finish so I may strip that off. The handle is quite comfy and functional, 'tho I wonder how it will hold up over the years. Best part is the blade - good old carbon steel and thick as a prybar, it really takes an edge. A keeper for sure, even tho I feel compelled to make mods to it. It was (and is) as sharp a knife from the factory as I have seen - of the 5 Cold Steel knives I've purchased, I will say that thier claims of sharp-out-of-the-box are not exagerated.<br><br>A young man (one of our "extra sons") came by the other evening to show me his recently purchased KA-BAR - alongside his grandfather's USMC KA-BAR from WWII. Other than the powdercoat vs parkerizing and a really minute change in the "blood groove" (can't recall the proper name for it), I was impressed with the faithfulness of the replication. The factory edge was not very noteworthy - in fact, it was somewhat uneven, having been "sharpened" a little more on one side than the other. However, a few minutes with a diamond hone showed that it is going to take a good edge. For the money, that has got to be a great value in a large utility blade.<br><br>Have you seen/used a BK&T CMBK7? Those look like a great bargain - if the knife is any good. Cheap enough to stow in a BoB with a good coat of RIG on it. The Campanion also looks like it would be a dandy economical utility/survival knife. Have you tried out either of these two knives?<br><br>Keep the tips coming, please. BTW, you ever port out of Kodiak? We love visiting there - USCG treats us like royalty. Been going there occasionaly for ~25, 26 years, and it's always the same... nice folks.<br><br>Tom