The MOD4 This knife dates from 1987 and was made initially by Wilkinson Sword. WIlkinson exists in name only and the quality has fallen somewhat in finish. Fortunately, this thing is a brute and there really is a knife in there. It is frankly overpriced in the USA. It comes so dull only the lettering indicates the right way to hold one to a neophyte. The "sheath" is actually left handed, and unless your in this minority, THROW IT AWAY QUICKLY! Make, or have made a decent sheath. There is a military and civilian version. The military has a black fiber handle and the civilian wood. Both can be shaped for a better grip ( but not much.) The blade itself is a deep bellied slight drop point. The British seem to have an affinity for large machete or parang type blades ala' Lofty Wiseman. My second MOD4 came from Barry @ Blueline with his nice work at putting a decent edge on it. It can be done, and I intend to put a even finer edge on the point and curve for fine work, leaving the straight edge for chopping. The double guard is best left "as is" two small welds top and bottom secure it to the blade. Attempting to remove the top will only weaken the attachment. At 7", the 1/4" blade is to big for the small knife and to small for the really big big knife advocates. I've split wood with it easier than any other, hacked out of a truck camper in short order and split the pelvic girdle on a dead steer ( another good use for bandannas-phew!) If you find yourself with one add a small knife- or two for weight distribution! At 1 1/2 lbs. the MOD4 is a handfull! Both the MOD4 and A/F knives have phosphate or parkerized finishes. I prefer this to the baked on epoxys as used by Cold Steel. Both can eventually wear or chip off. The phosphates at least do not inhibit initial sharpening.