Sparks don't work. I've never tried matches but I doubt they would work either, if it is at all windy. I used to use a lighter, and hold both lighter and tab in my hand to get best positioning of the flame, and transfer it to the stove when it has caught. However, I've found that method to be not too effective in wind either. Nowadays I use some tinder, light that with a lighter then put the fuel tab on top of it. I mostly use a TinderCard for tinder because I bought way more of it than I need, and it's not waterproof so not really good for much else.

I have found there is a lot of variation in different brands of fuel. Some places here sell round pill-like tabs. I dislike this because it takes up more space than it needs, and it leaves a solid residue. I prefer the army surplus stuff. I cut the blocks in half and keep them in zip-lock bags. I see no reason not to add more fuel to the stove if I need to, or to blow it out when I've finished cooking and put what's left back into the bag - but some other people seem to think this can't be done.

Chris is right about the importance of a wind shield. Also, make sure your pot has a lid to keep the heat in. It will get hot a lot quicker and you may find you can't get a proper boil without one, unless you use extra fuel.

I think the main rival to the Esbit is the Trangia meths/alcohol stove. One advantage is that the meths vapours will light with a spark. A big advantage of the Esbit stove is that you can't spill the fuel. The Trangia stove is smaller, and will fit in a mug, but the Esbit is a more convenient shape and you can store fuel, lighter, tinder and fork inside it so its space isn't wasted. Currently I prefer the Esbit.