An interesting link: everything you ever wanted to know about Betadine™. Stain info is #6, most of the way down. Right at the top it also mentions that it's formulated to be timed release, who knew!<br><br>http://www.woundcare.org/newsvol2n2/ar1.htm<br><br>And if you can stand one more EMT(B, Wilderness) opinion on this topic, it's my understanding that alcohol is fine for cleaning INTACT skin. Less optimal on mucus membranes and not at all good for any open wounds. Its lysing action kills OUR exposed cells, including nerve cells as mentioned above, just as readily as it lyses microbes.<br><br>With regard to Betadine™ application, I was taught to dilute it to the color of extremely strong tea (slightly transluscent through a small quantity) and use an irrigation syringe to rinse wounds under a bit of pressure. The advantages of this are better flushing and debriding of debris and less irritation and stinging from full-strength Betadine™ solutions and it goes little farther. And you can use even somewhat non-sterile water as long as it's clear-running with no debris, just make the dilution a bit stronger.<br><br>Also if you're gearing up for extended wound care, I'd recommend taking some triple antibiotic of some type after all; if you're daytripping leave it. Betadine™ is good for flushing and short term antiseptic use but antibiotic jelly stays put better long term and somewhat physically excludes recontamination and resists washing off by sweat or in water environments when properly covered and dressed. Plus when you have a leg full of road rash, the mild anesthetic they add to some of the triple antibiotic formulations feels really good!