If you have room, carry both. The alcohol pads are great for removing dirt and body oils (around the wound) and finish with the Betadine . I personally like the use of Benzalkonium Choride wound cleansing pads (from Bound Tree http://www.boundtree.com/home.asp) They are $2.50 for a box of 100. I am not sure you should ask me about organizing into kits, I probably have far too many “medical kits” around the house and vehicles. Many of the companies that sell EMS equipment have great empty kits to which you can add your own supplies. I have made up kits to supply to Red Cross, Civil Defense and Fire departments in Ecuador using backpacks I picked up at a Eddie Bauer outlet store for under $10.00 and bought zippered pencil pouches, made of clear vinyl on one side so you can see what is in the pouch and nylon on the other side for $1.00 at our local dollar store. There are both expensive and cheap options, but the more organized and familiar with how you packed your gear the easier it to deal with an emergency. Remember all these products have a shelf life on should be rotated on a regular basis. Pete