I believe there are much more effective, economically sound ways of avoiding infection. If epidemic outbreaks were imminent, the simplest solution is to protect the exposure points, which in the case of influenza are the mouth, nose, eyes, and other orifices. I've converted motorcyle helmets into biofilters for field expedient hazmat systems, and with a tyvek suit, established a level c protection factor (the helmet became a PAP for biologics and particulates). If you take proper precautions when doffing the equipment after being exposed (such as disinfectant wash, UV exposure, etc) then you can fairly easily avoid becoming infected.

Granted, you will look a little silly wearing a helmet or some such to work everyday (unless that is the normal course of your business), but you will be safe. You could get by with a mask and eye protection I suppose. The point is, it isn't that hard in this day and age to protect ourselves from such biological hazards if we are but willing. It certainly doesn't warrant running for your lives, or buying a gross of saran wrap and sealing up the house. They do make HEPA filter systems that can be installed in homes for fairly reasonable prices.