Bee,

Is that the Coghlan’s Survival bag? If it is that is my favorite survival shelter. I have tried plastic sheet, tube tents, HD Space Blanket, HD Space blanket with hood, small Space Blanket, and Space Blanket bag. I want my shelter to protect me from the wet ground, wind, rain, and bugs. Of all the things I have tried the Survival Bag makes me feel most secure. Let tell you how I modify my bag to make it more useful:

I put duct tape on the ends with washers so that the open end can be held open in a triangle shape and the closed end is held in place. It is easy to catch the edges of the bag as you get in and out. The duct tape can tear out if it does not have the washers. The 3 mil plastic is tough!

The closed end should only have one strip of duct tape in the center as it is laid flat. If you put on more you will not be able to lay facing feet up. Your toes will push into the secured end of the plastic bag. If you just secure the center your feel will have room. Put one short piece of duct tape across the seam. Then take another piece and make a tab that has a metal washer in it. Poke a hole through the washer.

For the open end you have to measure the opening so that you will have three equal sides with one side on the bottom with the bottom seam. Now put a piece of Duct tape across and then make a tab with a metal washer in the end of the loop. Poke holes in the duct tape in the center of the washers.

If you carry 4 small steel tent stakes like I do then you are good. If you plan to make some out of wood or use rocks then I suggest you tie some Para cord loops in the duct tape where the washers are. Now you need about a 10 foot length of cord for the top duct tape tab. Tie a taught line knot. Keep this tied at all times. When you store the bag just throw the cord in the bag before you roll it up. The taught line at the bag allows you to adjust the tension while in the bag.

Here is how I use this plastic bag:
Find a tree or something you can tie your top cord to. If there is nothing suitable but you have two sticks you are still good. Pick your spot. You might want to put something for padding under the bag. Face into the wind. If there is no wind, face west so the opening (east) gets the morning sun. Roll out the bag and stake down the front two tabs. Then stake down the back tab. If you have a tree or something you can take the top cord and tie it any way you like. Then use the taught line to snug it up. If you only have two sticks push them through the taught line knot in a crossed stick manner and then stake the end of the cord down for stability. So the cord will go up to a tree or be over crossed sticks and staked to the ground.

To get in I suggest you sit down facing the opening and sliding in waist deep before you try to lie down. Make sure you do not have anything attached to you that could rip the plastic. I learned that the hard way. Slide all the way in. You will find that you are fully protected except for the opening. You could use your poncho to cover the top part of the opening if you want. I have thought of getting some netting to duct tape on, if needed, to keep bugs out. You can not seal the bag or you will suffocate. You can cover the top of the bag with whatever plant material is around for insulation. You can use your small Space blanket to cover yourself or use it to reflect heat from a fire. I also carry two clear trash bags that I can use for transpiration or filled with plant material as blankets.

What do you think? Sorry I don’t have a digital camera to take any pictures.