As to using a coin for a sinker, I have been drilling a small hole (~1/16inch & deburred) near the edge of coins carried in a kit so it can be used as a sinker (use a girth hitch to attach the coin anyplace along a fishing line). I do not know enough about fishing to know if polishing the coin a bit (or getting a new coin) would allow the coin to be used as a lure.

I have had mixed feelings about carrying coins in a small kit; but, do at least cover the button switch of a Photon light with a taped on quarter. I have stopped carrying photons on my keychain because of all the junk I carry in my pockets. Once a light was accidentally turned on and used up the battery. Another time the button switch just plain got bashed in. I also wonder what would be the best denomination coin to carry in a kit. The fellow who tends the vending machines here at school says all the machines will take dollar coins. However, the pay phones do not seem to take dollar coins. So, for now, I carry a couple quarters in a kit.