I thought I might have some useful information on this topic. For ten years I carried a hatchet while surveying in Northern Idaho and the mountains of western Montana. We were surveying through forest so the hatchet in use much of the time, for blazing trees, pounding in hubs and clearing limbs from the line of sight. At all times I kept it sharp enough to shave.
IMO, what you want in a hatchet, is a buffer between your hand and the head of the hatchet. Historically, if you look at other hand tools where a tool head is connected to a hand/arm via a handle, typically it is wood (in the case of shipwrights caulking mallets, even more buffer was added...slots in the mallet head). If you are going to set up a camp, make a shelter, soft bed, and gather firewood, the hatchet is going to be in use for quite a while.
I would hate to use the Timberline for any amount of time.... it wouldn't be long before the hand/arm/wrist would cramp-up from the shock transfer up the solid steel handle (however, if one needed a lever/pry bar, the Timberline would be a better choice as a combination tool). I tried an Estwing hatchet but it's balance was off.
My preference back then was a Plumb hatchet with a wooden handle. That was 30 years ago and it's still a functional hatchet. Now, my preference for a BOB is something and lighter and totally maintenance free. I found a very light shock handled hatchet made by Fiskar (Good steel). So far it looks and feels very good, it even has a hollow handle where one could stuff other useful items. I'll put it to the test in the spring when I'm trimming trees. My old Plumb hatchet is in my vehicle survival kit. You can find these hatchets for as little as $20 on ebay.