I am a big advocate of wool too. I have no problem wearing wool against my skin, but it is no longer number one for hunting for me. Check out this link:

http://www.riverswest.com/

This new material is lighter and warmer than wool, and is wind and waterproof, yet breathable. It is also very quiet material which is necessary for stalking. The only downside is it is more expensive, but it is very tough and durable, and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I have a hunting suit made of this stuff, and when it got to single digits and below zero here in Denver a couple weeks ago, I wore this and the only discomfort was in my toes and my face, which were exposed more to the winds. I've held two gallons of water slung in the jacket without it leaking through for half an hour, not even damp on the outside. I can't push a one inch stick through the material, though I am sure if you snagged it on barb wire or the point of a knife it would open up. If it does, you just send it back to the company and they patch it or replace it for the cost of shipping.

Not too bad. I still wear wool, but for the absolute max protection, I wear my ranger suit. I may look funny or obnoxious coming into the office with it, but I am also the most comfortable.